Friday , September 30 2022
Home / News / International News / Succession contest begins after resignation by Boris Johnson

Succession contest begins after resignation by Boris Johnson

Spread the love

The race to replace Boris Johnson has begun, after the prime minister quit as Tory leader following a dramatic few days that saw his authority collapse.

Tom Tugendhat is the latest MP to throw his hat into the ring, joining Attorney General Suella Braverman and Brexiteer Steve Baker who have shown interest.

Mr Johnson plans to stay on as PM until a new successor is found by the autumn.

However, many colleagues and opposition politicians want him to leave now – but he has already filled cabinet jobs.

Mr Johnson resigned on Thursday, following two days of desperate attempts to cling onto power amid a flood of resignations.

Nearly 60 Conservative MPs have quit government roles in recent days at both senior and junior levels, raising doubts about the government’s ability to function.

Speaking to his newly appointed cabinet on Thursday, Mr Johnson promised he would not use his remaining time in No 10 to make “major changes of direction”.

A timetable for the Tory leadership race is due to be confirmed next week and the new prime minister is expected to be in position by September.

But unofficially, the contest is already under way. The chair of the foreign affairs committee Mr Tugendhat, launched his leadership bid by writing in the Daily Telegraph on Friday, promising tax cuts and “new energy and ideas” for government.

“I have served before – in the military, and now in Parliament. Now I hope to answer the call once again as prime minister,” said the former soldier, who has been a prominent critic of Mr Johnson.

Attorney General Ms Braverman has already confirmed she will stand, while former Brexit minister Mr Baker said he was “seriously” considering running after being asked by people to do so.

Sajid Javid, the former health secretary, and Transport Secretary Grant Shapps – who both revolted against Mr Johnson – are also considering putting their hats into the ring, the BBC has been told.

Others tipped to run include Foreign Secretary Liz Truss, former Chancellor Rishi Sunak and ex-Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

More declarations are expected in the coming days – but some senior Tories have already said they will not be running, including former Levelling Up Secretary Michael Gove, Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab and former Health Secretary Matt Hancock.

Boris Johnson, Rishi Sunak and Grant Shapps
Former Chancellor Rihttps://ionigeria.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=45851&action=editshi Sunak and Transport Secretary Grant Shapps are among those tipped to run in the leadership campaign

Brexit minister Jacob Rees-Mogg criticised Mr. Sunak on Thursday, saying he was “not a successful chancellor” and “not alert to the inflationary problem”.

Speaking on Channel 4 News, the Johnson loyalist said the PM had been an “exceptionally good leader” who had been brought down by some “relatively minor missteps that got taken out of all proportion”.

Transport minister Robert Courts said Mr. Shapps, who he works alongside, would be a “great choice” and also suggested Ben Wallace, the defence secretary.

“I think we need someone who’s got experience, someone who is able to campaign… someone who’s able to deliver,” he told BBC Newsnight.

https://ionigeria.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=45851&action=edit

2px presentational grey line

About Charles Igbinidu

Charles Igbinidu is a Public Relations practitioner in Lagos, Nigeria

Check Also

US warns Putin of ‘catastrophic consequences’ if he carries out chilling threat to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine

Spread the love THE US has warned Vladimir Putin of ‘catastrophic consequences’ if he carries …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.