Three siblings have been killed by candle fire after their mother locked them up in her room and stepped out to charge her phone at her uncle’s house, where she dozed off in Ohia, Abia State.
Fidelis Ezenwa Amalaha, the father of the deceased, identified them as Chidera (7) Destiny, (5) and Precious (3). According to report, he was estranged from their mom, Ugochi, and had only allowed the kids to go and spend time with their mom, when the incident occurred.
According to him: “My wife took the children on December 17, 2017, around 4.00pm, and by 4.00am on December 19, my father received a call from the president general of Ohia Development Union, telling him my three children had died in a fire outbreak.”
Fidelis said from his investigations, he learned that Ugochi had locked the three up in the room they slept, while a candle was burning. The candle was on the edge of a chair and later fell on top of a bag which caught fire. .
Smoke engulfed the room, leading to the suffocation of the children. He said his wife told him that after the children had gone to sleep, she went to her uncle’s house nearby to charge her phone and slept off there.
He blamed the death on the carelessness of his wife, adding that a similar incident had occurred in the past where Ugochi left a candle on top of the television and went to sleep with the children