Meghan Markle has been told NOT to attend Prince Philip’s funeral due to her pregnancy but her husband Prince Harry will be there, royal officials said.
The Duke of Sussex will make the journey from the couple’s home in California and will be following Covid-19 protocols for the trip, as well as during his visit.
It is understood that Meghan, who is pregnant with her second child, had made every effort to join her husband but was not given clearance to travel by her doctor.
The duke and duchess posted a tribute to Philip on the website of their foundation Archewell on Friday.
The service for the Duke of Edinburgh will take place at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle next Saturday – the same place where Harry and Meghan wed in 2018.
Meghan, 39, who is heavily pregnant, made “every effort” to travel but didn’t receive medical clearance from her physician, a Senior Palace Official and Buckingham Palace spokesman said today.
Harry is “united in grief” with his family over the death of Prince Philip and is reported to be making immediate plans to fly back to Britain.
It is likely the Duke of Sussex will rush back to the UK to self-isolate for five days ahead of his grandfather’s funeral.
Harry was last pictured with Philip on May 8, 2019, when they were seen posing for a charming photograph with Baby Archie at Buckingham Palace
Under government rules, those travelling to England must self-isolate for a full 10 days but may leave quarantine if a test returns a negative result after five days.
It would mark the first time Prince Harry has come face-to-face with his family since he and Meghan sat down with Oprah Winfrey for their explosive interview last month.
Two royal experts believe that the funeral could offer Harry a chance to heal any rift the interview may have caused.