Saturday , October 1 2022
Home / Sport / Football / Pele out of hospital after undergoing chemotherapy sessions for a colon tumour -‘stable’ but to continue receiving treatment

Pele out of hospital after undergoing chemotherapy sessions for a colon tumour -‘stable’ but to continue receiving treatment

Spread the love

Brazil legend Pele has been discharged from hospital in Brazil, having undergone chemotherapy sessions on a colon tumour – but will continue receiving treatment.

The 81-year-old has been receiving care at the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo after the tumour was detected during routine exams at the end of August.

‘The patient is stable and will continue his treatment for a colon tumour that was identified in September,’ the statement from the hospital said

Pele, a three-time World Cup winner, was hospitalised at the start of December for the round of chemotherapy but has today been allowed to go home.

He underwent surgery to remove the tumour in September and then spent almost a month in hospital.

Pele has been released from hospital in Brazil after undergoing treatment on a colon tumour

Pele has been released from hospital in Brazil after undergoing treatment on a colon tumour

Having kept his social media followers updated on his progress, Pele said on Twitter last month that he was ‘fine’ and ‘feeling better every day’.

In an Instagram post, the mercurial forward said that he was ‘having small chemotherapy sessions’, and added that he had just finished his last session of 2021.

‘I wanted to share this achievement with you. After all, every little victory is a reason to celebrate, don’t you think?’ he wrote, with a picture of him clenching his fist.

‘Don’t worry, I’m just getting ready for the holiday season!’

 

The all-time great returned to hospital for follow-up treatment (pictured with daughter Flavia)

The all-time great returned to hospital for follow-up treatment (pictured with daughter Flavia)

 

When he was taken to hospital earlier this month, he was described as being in a stable condition and would be discharged in the next ‘few days’.

It was also revealed that Pele would be ‘continuing’ his treatment.

After his admittance, Kely Nascimento, the eldest daughter of Pele, provided an update of her own – posting a picture of him smiling.

She wrote: ‘My sister Flavia Kurtz is giving him a hug for me! In two or three days he returns home to enjoy Christmas.

 

A three-time World Cup winner, Pele is widely regarded as one of the best players in history

‘This was not a surprise. It was already scheduled and is part of the treatment. All my gratitude, always.’

Pele’s health has been a cause for concern in recent years, however.

He underwent prostate surgery in 2015 after being taken to the hospital for the second time in six months and was admitted for a urinary infection in 2019.

Pele won the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1070 – and remains Brazil’s all-time top scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.

Pele in high spirit in hospital after being readmitted after surgery

 

About Charles Igbinidu

Charles Igbinidu is a Public Relations practitioner in Lagos, Nigeria

Check Also

Multiple football fans feared injured after Estadio Monumental roof collapses during training

Spread the love Several fans are now feared injured after a section of Monumental Stadium …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.