The visit of Yobe State Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, to Dapchi was cut short as angry residents of the town pelted his convoy with stones .
Boko Haram members had stormed Government Girls Technical College in Dapchi on Monday, but the schoolgirls were said to have fled into the bushes in the area. While some of the girls had been returning to the school, 46 were said to be missing.
The crowd, still at a loss over the whereabouts of the missing schoolgirls, showed their disgust to the governor on Thursday, by throwing stones at his convoy, injuring some of his aides, as well as government officials.
The state government had issued a late night statement on Wednesday, announcing that some of the schoolgirls were rescued. The government in another statement on Thursday, however, said its initial statement was false.
The FG says the number of missing pupils has become a mystery due to the nature of the incident. The Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said this when he visited Dapchi, Yobe State.
He said when the terrorists were approaching the school, the principal asked the pupils to run to safety, adding that most of the pupils returned to school the following day, but when a roll-call was conducted, it was discovered that same were yet to return.
He said it was difficult to determine who was missing because the incident happened at night. Mohammed said, “Since the incident happened, the army and other security agencies have swung into action and have been combing every nook and cranny.
So far, we cannot say the number of people that are missing because people are still reporting or calling that they are safe. We will need a few more days so we can give an exact figure of those missing.”