Manchester United has announce the signing of Diogo Dalot from FC Porto on a five-year contract, with an option to extend for a further year.
The 19-year-old Portugal Under-21 international came through the ranks of Porto’s youth system. He made his debut in Portugal’s Primeira Liga earlier this year.
Dalot is United’s second signing of the summer, after they agreed a deal for Shakhtar Donetsk’s Brazil midfielder Fred on Tuesday, for a reported £47m
Jose Mourinho said: “Diogo is an extremely talented young defender with all the qualities to quickly become a great player for this club. He has all the attributes that a full-back needs: physicality, tactical intelligence and technical quality, combined with a Porto Academy mentality which prepares players for the maturity they need at the professional level.
“In his age group, he is the best full-back in Europe and we all believe he has a bright future ahead of him at Manchester United.”
Diogo Dalot said: “Joining Manchester United is an unbelievable opportunity for me. I have grown up in Porto’s Academy and I am so thankful for everything they have done for me. But the chance of coming to the biggest club in the world is something I just couldn’t turn down.
“I’m excited about working with Jose Mourinho and learning everything I can from such a successful coach. I am looking forward to playing alongside the fantastic players in the squad.”
The transfer should hasten the exits of Italian full-back Matteo Darmian, who has been strongly linked with Juventus, and Netherlands defender Daley Blind, neither of whom has a long-term future under Mourinho.
Mourinho is determined to strengthen his defence for what he hopes will be a far closer Premier League battle with champions Manchester City next term.