A customer at a store in Nanjing City, Jiangsu Province, China, was looking to buy a replacement battery for his iPhone, and when the employee on duty showed him one, the best thing he could think of was to bite into the battery to test its authenticity.
The battery blew up in his face. Amazingly, the man wasn’t seriously hurt . Taiwan News noted that it’s common for people in China to test the authenticity of gold by biting it, which led Apple Insider to speculate the man somehow thought he could test the authenticity of the battery using the same technique.
On the rare occasions when a phone explodes, it’s often because the “positive” and “negative” battery plates have become joined, such as if the battery was pierced by a metal object, experts say.
They point out that lithium-ion batteries, though considered very safe, can explode if they’re overcharged.