Sunday , September 24 2017
Home / Sport / Football / Why Amos Adamu was banned again by FIFA
Amos Adamu

Why Amos Adamu was banned again by FIFA

Nigerian football administrator Amos Adamu who was previously banned for three years from football in 2010, has been slammed a fresh ban by FIFA.

The latest ban is for two years.

Fifa said “the sanction is effective from 28 February 2017”.

Adamu, who was previously banned for three years from October 2010, has been punished for violating three articles of Fifa’s Code of Ethics.

The 64-year-old has been found guilty of violating general rules of conduct, loyalty and conflict of interest.

Fifa said Adamu’s misconduct relates to “his involvement in the organisation of an event in 2010, while being a member of the (then) Fifa Executive Committee”.

A FIFA investigation report, published in 2014, cited an article in The Sunday Times which alleged that Qatar’s 2022 World Cup bid team paid $1 million to Adamu’s son to “sponsor” an “African Legends Dinner” in 2010 in Johannesburg.

Adamu was an executive committee member in 2010 when Russia and Qatar won hosting rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

The Nigerian did not vote as he was suspended by the ethics committee for seeking bribes in a separate undercover sting by The Sunday Times.

Adamu was later banned for three years and lost his positions with FIFA and the Confederation of African Football.

Qatar has consistently denied any wrongdoing in its winning bid

Comments

comments

About Charles Igbinidu

Charles Igbinidu is a Public Relations practitioner in Lagos, Nigeria

Check Also

UEFA Awards: Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Men’s Player Of The Year For The Third Time

Like Tweet +1 Pin Share WhatsAppThe Real Madrid trio of Sergio Ramos, Luka Modri? and …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *